MSC CRUISES MARKS UNIQUE PARTNERSHIP MILESTONE OF 1,000TH CIRQUE DU SOLEIL AT SEA PERFORMANCE ON BOARD MSC MERAVIGLIA
This weekend MSC Cruises, the leading cruise line in Europe, South America, South Africa and the Gulf, marked a major milestone as part of its exclusive and long-standing partnership with Cirque du Soleil. Both companies celebrated the 1,000th performance of the exclusive Cirque du Soleil at Sea shows on board MSC Meraviglia, having first launched in June 2017.
On Sunday night, show artists, technical crew and MSC Meraviglia crew members celebrated the milestone, a tradition for Cirque du Soleil, with a cake cutting ceremony in the ships’ Carousel Lounge — the first ever lounge custom-designed to meet the needs of Cirque du Soleil at Sea artists, equipped with the latest cutting-edge technology and special rigging, including a 360 degree rotating stage.
The artists perform two shows in MSC Meraviglia’s Carousel Lounge:
• VIAGGIO, this is the story of a passionate and eccentric artist who hears the call of his Faceless Muse. Mysterious and seductive, she beckons him into the vivid world of his unbridled imagination to complete his masterpiece. With each stroke of his paintbrush, the Painter reveals the details of his grandiose tableau. Electrifying colours fill the space with intriguing motifs and rich textures. Majestic acts transform the theater into a living canvas. Before our very eyes, a masterpiece comes to life.
• With sound at its heart, SONOR – the second show – takes guests on an auditory adventure with dancers, acrobats and characters, all moving to the rhythm. It conjures a world of unique sensations, astonishing sounds, bold music and immersive projections and culminates in a grand finale for the senses.
The two original shows were produced exclusively for MSC Cruises by the world leader in live entertainment, as part of the long-term partnership that first started in 2013. As part of the partnership, a total of eight original shows will come exclusively to MSC Cruises guests on the Company’s Meraviglia generation ships.
MSC Meraviglia, the first of the Meraviglia generation, will also bring her exclusive Cirque du Soleil at Sea shows to North America upon arrival for the first time in October 2018. Before homeporting in Miami, MSC Meraviglia will sail three sailings embarking from New York. The first two sailings with visit Canada and New England and the third will journey through the Caribbean before ending in Miami, where she will then sail 7-night Caribbean cruises. Itineraries include:
- October 8, 2019: 10-night sailing embarking from New York, NY and sailing to destinations in Canada including Sydney, Nova Scotia; Corner Brook, Newfoundland; Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island; and Quebec City, Québec. Prices start at $1,229 per person for a balcony stateroom.
- October 18, 2019: 10-night sailing embarking from New York, NY and sailing to Bar Harbor, Maine; St. John, New Brunswick; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Sydney, Nova Scotia; Portland, Maine; and Boston, Massachussetts. Prices start at $1,169 per person for a balcony stateroom.
- October 28, 2019: 13-night sailing embarking from New York, NY and sailing to Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Fort de France, Martinique; Bridgetown, Barbados; Saint George, Grenada; Willemstad, Curaçao; Willemstad, Curaçao; Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve; and ending in Miami, Florida. Prices start at $1,559 per person for a balcony stateroom.
This month, MSC Cruises also launched its latest flagship and MSC Meraviglia’s sister ship, MSC Bellissima, complete with its own two exclusive shows: SYMA and VARÉLIA. Available nowhere else in the world, every element of each show is truly unique, from the concept and storyline, characters, costumes and make-up to music, staging and sound effects. Each show offers a true multisensory experience that will leave guests spellbound.
SYMA – Sail beyond Imagination takes you on the epic journey of a young sailor, brimming with imagination. On this bold expedition, he braves the elements, plunges into troubled waters and discovers the mysterious island of his dreams, populated by surreal, and colourful creatures. We all carry our own imaginary island inside of us, so what are you waiting for? SYMA awaits. Immersive video images, an original set design, bioluminescent lighting and acrobatic feats make SYMA an unforgettable show.
VARÉLIA – Love in Full Colour puts a futuristic twist on a traditional medieval tale. It traces the arduous course of an unconventional courtship between a princess with distinctive violet skin and a charming hero who is blind. Their budding romance is thwarted by a villain who, in a fit of madness, kidnaps the royal. With the help of his friends, the brave young hero formulates a plan to rescue his beloved. Delight in the acrobatic feats, the laser show and the unique set design of this futuristic medieval tale.
Looking ahead, work is already well underway for the next two original shows to debut on MSC Grandiosa, launching in November this year and a further two new shows for MSC Virtuosa, launching in October 2020.
Cirque du Soleil at Sea is a pre-booked experience for guests with competitive rates and can be booked in advance or while on board during the cruise, if availability allows. Guests can either book to enjoy a three-course menu of palate-pleasing dishes served before the show ($39), or sip on a specialty cocktail ($17) and enjoy the pre-show that begins 30 minutes before the start of the Cirque du Soleil at Sea performance.
To find out more about Cirque du Soleil at Sea visit here.
For more media information about MSC Cruises visit www.mspressarea.com/en_US.