The Countdown is on: Six Months until MSC Grandiosa is Christened in Hamburg
• First of the enriched Meraviglia-Plus ships to come into service
• Inaugural season to be spent in the stunning Western Mediterranean
• New flagship to feature two brand new, original Cirque du Soleil at Sea Shows
Today marks exactly six months before MSC Cruises — the world’s largest privately-owned cruise line and market leader in Europe, South America, South Africa and the Gulf — christens MSC Grandiosa, the third Meraviglia generation ship and the first of MSC Cruises’ Meraviglia-Plus class of ships.
Coming into service on November 9 in the Port of Hamburg, MSC Grandiosa will be the largest in the fleet and the fifth next-generation ship MSC Cruises has launched in just two and a half years as part of its more than 10 year, $15.6 billion investment plan. The mega ship will be further enriched with more staterooms, public spaces and additional features.
- The iconic Mediterranean Promenade is at the heart of the ship. Under the 323-ft.-long LED sky, guests can enjoy a varied entertainment program as well as being able to shop, eat and drink.
- MSC Grandiosa takes the onboard shopping experience to a new level, with the indoor promenade at the center of that experience. Here, in the shopping mall-style boutiques, guests will find their favorite brands of clothing, jewelry, technology and more, all at unbeatable prices.
- The specialty restaurants are also located here, including the new restaurant concept L'Atelier Bistrot, a French-inspired bar with lounge area, which also offers a stage and dance floor as well as a seated terrace.
- The entertainment highlights will be two brand new, never before seen shows from Cirque du Soleil at Sea. The shows are created by world-leader in live entertainment, Cirque du Soleil as part of a unique long-term with MSC Cruises.
- MSC Grandiosa will feature the world’s first virtual personal cruise assistant, ZOE. This artificial intelligence service will answer guest questions in the comfort of their staterooms, a ground-breaking feature of the connected cruise experience, MSC for Me.
- Designed as a ship for all seasons, MSC Grandiosa will spend winter in the Mediterannean. This is a wonderful time of year to discover some of the the most beautiful destinations in this popular region such as Barcelona, Palermo, Marseille or Valletta in Malta. There are less visitors at this time of year and the climate in Italy, France and Spain is perfect for exploring and discovering everything that these incredible ports have to offer.
As a highlight of the christening ceremony, TV star Michelle Hunziker will host the glamorous events as the Company’s newest flagship will be officially named.
Hunziker, internationally known as a TV presenter, actress and singer, also hosted the christening of MSC Seaview in Genoa in 2018. Michelle Hunziker was born in Switzerland, grew up in Italy and speaks five languages. She embodies internationality with a Mediterranean soul, joie de vivre and a sense of family, just like MSC Cruises does.
Michelle Hunziker commented, "I am delighted to be part of the christening ceremony of MSC Grandiosa in Hamburg. Since the christening of MSC Seaview last year, I feel a part of the MSC family. I am particularly pleased that the christening is taking place in Germany. I have met great people here and celebrated many professional successes. For me, Germany means a piece of home and Hamburg has such a wonderful maritime heritage, it will be an honour to become a part of it. I am also looking forward to discovering everything that this new and stunning ship has to offer.”
MSC Grandiosa will sail her inaugural winter season exploring the iconic Western Mediterranean destinations. Cruisers can be one of the first to experience this ship with highlight itineraries including:
- November 10, 2019: Inaugural 11-night repositioning cruise from Hamburg, Germany visiting Southampton, U.K. (overnight stay); Lisbon, Portugal (overnight stay); Barcelona, Spain (overnight stay); and Marseille, France (overnight stay). Prices start at $1,569 per person for a balcony stateroom.
- November 21, 2019: 8-night cruise from Marseille, France visiting Genoa, Italy (overnight stay); Civitavecchia, Italy; Palermo, Italy; Valletta, Malta; and Barcelona, Spain. Prices start at $949 per person for a balcony stateroom.
- December 7, 2019: 7-night cruise from Genoa, Italy visiting Civitavecchia, Italy; Palermo, Italy; Valletta, Malta; Barcelona, Spain; and Marseille, France. Prices start at $859 per person for a balcony stateroom.
Meraviglia generation ships have been designed to meet every need of today’s cruise guest. The extraordinary design, wide array of facilities and entertainment make these ships ideal for the whole family. Designed for all seasons, they are able to call at most of the world’s international cruise ports.
MSC Grandiosa will be followed by a further 12 ships through to 2027 with her sister ship, MSC Virtuosa launching next October 2020.
To learn more about MSC Grandiosa visit www.msccruises.com
For further media information on MSC Cruises visit http://www.mscpressarea.com/en_US